Friday, June 8, 2012

Making Laundry Detergent



It’s time to make a new batch of laundry detergent at our urban homestead, so I invite you to join the fun.  As you can see by the photo above, I’m quite a messy detergent maker, but it’s completely worth it.  I feel like I’m playing in a sandbox of soap as I hand mix everything.  I’m sure if you were committed to having less mess than I, your experience could be much neater.  I enjoy making a powder recipe for the soap sandbox experience, but I’m sure you could find liquid recipes online if you prefer that. 

Making your own detergent is pennies on the dollar compared to ready-made detergents.  I have very sensitive skin and have to buy “free and clear” when using ready-made detergents, so making my own detergent saves me even more money.  Below is the recipe that I use.  Of course, it is all-natural and doesn’t cause my sensitive skin any irritation.

Powdered Laundry Detergent

Mix Well:

12 Cups Borax (see link below to purchase online)
8 Cups Washing Soda
8 Cups Baking Soda
8 Cups Bar Soap Grated (I use 3 bars of Fels Naptha and 4 bars of Ivory)

Store in a sealed container (I use an Utz Pretzel container – works great).  Use 1/8 cup of powder per full load.

A big thanks to my friend, Jen for getting me into making my own laundry detergent and for numerous recipes and Q&A sessions!
 

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I use my food processor to grate my soap. It's so easy, and I promise it won't make your food taste like soap. Just rinse well.

      Delete
  2. Good to see others in Muncie taking on these types of projects! I've been making my own liquid laundry soap for a few months now and love it. My raised beds are now overflowing with goodies in the backyard, too. I'll certainly be following along here as it seems we are on very similar paths! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a really messy detergent maker too, totally worth it though, it lasts 4-ever and I do it on days when I feel angry and helpless. The grating is very therapuetic and I end up accomplishing at least one thing (albeit a small thing) in life. That too is very therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made it, Leslie! So excited!

    ReplyDelete