Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Sourdough


While we’re in the kitchen, let’s talk about sourdough.  Now I’m not talking about store-bought sourdough that is made with packaged yeast and has a touch of sour flavoring added.  I’m talking about homegrown sourdough culture that uses healthy bacteria to rise.  Our bodies need good bacteria (I’m sure you’ve heard the probiotics buzz).  Sourdough is good for your intestinal health and is not as difficult as you might think to maintain and use.  It only requires one thing:  patience – that dirty word!

Thoughts to calm your fears (based on things misconceptions that found me giving up on sourdough my first few tries):

     1.  My sourdough starter can last up to 6 months in the refrigerator without  being fed.
     2.  I use it for more than just bread – pancakes, muffins, cinnamon rolls…mouth watering yet?
     3.  I do not find myself dumping extra starter down the drain, nor do I bake   with sourdough daily.

Now, I must confess, my sourdough starter is not the traditional flour and water starter.  It is a flour, milk, and sugar starter.  Sure, I’m not a purist, but it makes for delicious outcomes, and I still get good bacteria in my system.  I’ll share more details, proportions, and how-to’s tomorrow.  If you’re in the Muncie area and want some of my starter, let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment