Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Freezer Space Running Low

Oops - forgot to check on my zucchini for a few days.
 I have always found throwing things in a freezer bag and into the freezer much easier than canning, and to be completely honest, have wondered why anyone bothers with canning. Well, I believe I have found the answer.  Space.  We have spent hours on end making peach desserts and preparing peaches for the freezer.  I have made applesauce.  I have made zucchini bread.  I have frozen several bags of zucchini and squash.  I have frozen broccoli.  The list goes on and the hours pass by.

The "problem" is that I still have this table full of produce, plus a backyard with many more tomatoes, cantaloupe, green beans, and herbs ready for the picking, not to mention the entire bed of sweet potatoes that will be ready in another month.  I still have more planting space, but I am falling behind on processing and storing my produce.  My refrigerator, counters, and freezer are all nearly full.

I suppose I may have to tackle this thing called canning.  After all, I do live in Muncie, Indiana - home of the Ball jars.  I must admit, one of the issues that has kept me from canning is fear.  I'm just always a little uneasy that I will ingest botulism when eating home-canned goods.  I know, I know, this is the horrible impact of industrialized agriculture on my psyche, but it's the truth.  Another issue I have with canning is flavor preference.  I tried canning with some friends one year when I had an overabundant tomato harvest but didn't end up liking the salsa or tomato juice that we canned.  People tell me that canning preserves summer flavor better than freezing, but I prefer frozen veggies at the grocery better than the canned veggies.  Thus, I'm just not convinced that I will end up using the things I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment